Sefton Central Labour MP Bill Esterson takes e-petition call for

Bill Esterson



Sefton Central Labour MP Bill Esterson has thanked everyone who signed an e-petition calling for a new inquest into the death of a teenager who died in the Hillsborough Stadium disaster in 1989.

The e-petition was set up by Anne Williams who has campaigned for justice for her son Kevin who was just 15 when he died 23 years ago.

The petition calls on the Government to open a new inquest under section 13 of the Coroner’s Act, wanting a verdict of accidental death to be overturned due to new evidence which Anne claims disproves that finding.

Anne believes Kevin, who was from Formby, was still alive at 4pm and did not die from traumatic asphyxia. However, original inquests into the disaster ruled all the victims were dead by 3.15pm.

One-hundred-thousand people needed to sign the online petition before a debate could be called for in Parliament. By 5pm on Thursday (January 19) more than 110,000 had put their name to the campaign.

Sefton Central MP Bill Esterson, whose constituency includes Formby, is now calling for the debate to be held.

Bill said: "Anne has battled long and hard for justice for Kevin and it is only right that MPs take the time to debate this case. Although the success of the campaign in gaining over 100,000 names does not guarantee a debate, my Labour colleagues and I will be arguing that there is a moral obligation.

"I have spoken to many people from my constituency who were at Hillsborough on the day of the disaster and they all agree that justice has not been done.

"The success of the Hillsborough debate in Parliament last year which was called by my Labour colleague Walton MP Steve Rotheram has shown the country that   justice has not been done.

"There is a growing consensus in relation to the Hillsborough Disaster and specifically Kevin's case that evidence has been suppressed and statements changed. And because 3.15pm was chosen as the cut off time by the coroner, the details surrounding his death have never been formally heard."

Bill said Anne, the Williams family and all of the justice campaigners deserve answers to their questions.

Bill said: "Could more have been done to save Kevin's life? Would the implementation of the Major Disaster Plan have saved lives? Why were ambulances blocked from gaining access to the pitch?

"These are all questions which need answering.

"I will be fighting to get this debated in Parliament and for an inquest into Kevin Williams' death to be opened.

"It's time the truth was heard."

Bill is calling for the debate to be held in the next few weeks.