Labour MP for Sefton Central said he was delighted to be chairing Steve Rotheram’s campaign to be the so-called “Metro Mayor”, the first elected mayor of the whole of Merseyside and Halton.
Steve Rotheram is one of three Labour politicians who have put their names forward to be the Labour candidate. The other two are Wavertree MP, Luciana Berger and Liverpool City Council Mayor, Joe Anderson.
Bill Esterson MP said, “The Metro Mayor is a completely new position. It is a chance to put our City Region on a national platform, punching above its weight and showing the country what Labour in power can achieve.
“Steve Rotheram’s family moved to Kirkby after the city’s slum clearance programme. He was an apprentice bricklayer, set up a construction business, and went on to manage apprenticeship projects across Merseyside. Steve is incredibly proud to have called our great City Region home, all his life Steve Rotheram’s vision is for an economic and industrial strategy, built on social justice and with no borough left behind. Steve Rotheram will be a metro mayor for the whole of the Liverpool City Region.
- Truly affordable housing for all, prioritising brownfield sites for development to protect precious green spaces across our City Region. Under Steve’s leadership, Liverpool City Region will build council houses to rent and starter homes to buy.
- A 21st Century transport system to support local communities and businesses. Steve will re-regulate our bus services, support brand new trains on Merseyrail and fight for high speed rail services to connect the North of our country.
- We’ve talked about harnessing our tidal and wind resources for decades: it’s time to make the Mersey Barrage a reality. Steve Rotheram will put the benefits of renewable energy back into every household in the City Region.
- True parity between academic and technical training. Before becoming an MP Steve managed the apprenticeship strategy for Merseyside. As Mayor he will deliver industry-standard and degree level apprenticeships, tailored to match an economic strategy for the whole City Region.
- Steve Rotheram will realise our potential as an international hotbed for innovative start-ups with Mayoral funding and the infrastructure our entrepreneurs need to create a high-skill economy.
Bill Esterson MP said, “Steve was Lord Mayor in the Capital of Culture year, helping to change perceptions of our City Region. As a Member of Parliament, he has used a national platform to fight for justice, from the Shrewsbury Pickets and the Scottish Power miss-selling scandal, to compensation for victims of mesothelioma among other campaigns.
Steve got into politics to help people – not to be someone. He wants to use his national platform to build a bright future for all of our communities, with the fight for justice and equality continuing to drive all he does.
I am proud to be chairing Steve Rotheram’s campaign to be our elected mayor for all of the boroughs of Merseyside and Halton. Steve will be a superb ambassador for this great city region and he will deliver the positive changes we all need to see to ensure our people and our area thrive.”