Mayor of Maghull Labour's Cllr Joan Deegan selects Sefton Carers

Mayor of Maghull Cllr Joan Deegan with Sefton Carers' service development officer John Hill.


Labour's Councillor Joan Deegan has selected a cause that is very close to her heart to be this year's Mayor of Maghull chosen charity.

Cllr Deegan, who was recently appointed to be this year's mayor, has chosen Sefton Carers to be the recipients of this year's Mayor of Maghull fundraising.

Each year, the town's mayor selects a charity to be the beneficiaries of the year's mayoral fundraising.

But this year's chosen recipient is particularly poignant for this year's mayor, who herself received support from Sefton Carers as she cared for her elderly father.

Sefton Carers provide care services for carers throughout the borough. Services include advocacy services, counselling, holistic therapies and the carers' emergency card scheme.

Cllr Deegan said Sefton Carers provides a lifeline for people who really need it in Sefton.

Cllr Deegan said: "Here in Sefton, there are 34,547 unpaid carers. Of these 63.2% provide between one and 20hours unpaid care per week while the remaining 36.8% provide above 20hours or more unpaid care per week. 

"This huge hidden army of unpaid carers saves taxpayers billions every year. In many areas there are far more unpaid carers than actual paid care providers in place.

"There can be great strain on these carers. They often experience depression, emotional and physical exhaustion.

"Government cuts to local authorities and other agencies means that there is not the funding available that is needed to adequately support carers. District nurses estimate that over next few years the number of people needing care will continue to grow. So to call this a crisis is a huge understatement. The lack of funds and government reluctance to grasp the nettle cannot be allowed to continue.

"Sefton Carers provides the care and support that is simply not available elsewhere. That is why I have chosen them to be this year's Mayor of Maghull's chosen charity.

"They do a fantastic job and are literally a lifeline for hundreds and thousands of carers right here in Sefton."

Cllr Deegan said she was wanted to support Sefton Carers after her personal experiences with the organisation.

Cllr Deegan said: "When my husband and I were caring for my elderly father, the support Sefton Carers gave to us was invaluable.

"They were on hand when we needed them to give support to us as carers, which is obviously beneficial to the cared for person too.

"By choosing Sefton Carers as my chosen charity, I want to show my support for them, to raise some money to go towards their work, and raise awareness about the fantastic work they do.

"I am sure that lots of people will want to support the mayor's chosen charity this year and I look forward to raising as much money as I can for Sefton Carers throughout the mayoral year."

Do you like this page?

The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.

Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.

To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.