Sefton Central Labour MP Bill Esterson met a Maghull man in Parliament this week who warned about a silent killer that could be in all our homes.
Bill met with Colin Connor, who is the Head of the Energy Unit at the Health and Safety Executive, at a Gas Safe event in Westminster to hear about the dangers of carbon monoxide.
The event was organised by the All-Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group.
Colin was there to promote the Gas Safe campaign which encourages all householder to have an annual check up of all gas appliances by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
Bill said: "What Colin told me about the dangers of carbon monoxide was really shocking.
"Colin explained that last year 18 people died and 399 were injured from gas related incidents. It really is a silent killer.
"By having an annual check, you could save your life and the lives of your family. Gas boilers and cookers should be checked in accordance with the manufacturers' instructions. This will maintain their energy efficiency and performance.
"You may have a maintenance agreement in place for your boiler but what about for your gas cooker or gas fire? Make sure every gas appliance in your home is checked.
"Tenants should also check with their landlord and ask to see a copy of the landlord’s gas safety certificate. Landlords have to have a new certificate each year and tenants can insist."
Bill said people are risking their own lives and the lives of their friends by not getting a basic check up.
Bill said: "It's getting colder now and we are putting on our heating. This is the time of year which can be most dangerous.
"Not taking gas safety seriously could put you and your family in danger, leaving you at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, gas leaks and explosions.
"A gas appliance working incorrectly may just seem like an inconvenience, but it could be a killer."
For more information go to www.silentkiller.co.uk to see top tips for keeping you safe. To find a Gas Safe registered engineer, visitwww.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.