Bill Esterson demands answers after 75-year-old is knocked down

Bill Esterson

Sefton Central Labour MP Bill Esterson is demanding answers from North West Ambulance Service after a 75-year-old man was reportedly knocked down on the zebra crossing just yards from Formby's police and ambulance stations - but he had to wait for more than one hour for an ambulance to arrive at the scene.

An off-duty police officer who is fully trained in first aid attended to the pensioner, but was shocked by how long the ambulance took to arrive.

The good Samaritan was furious the pensioner had been left to wait in agony in the road for so long, despite being just yards away from a police station and an ambulance station.

Formby Police Station's enquiry desk closed to the public just weeks before due to Tory-Lib Dem government funding cuts to Merseyside Police.

Bill said: "I was very concerned to hear of the plight of the man who was knocked down and I would like to wish him a full recovery.

"It is clearly not acceptable to have a 75-year-old man lying in agony in the road after being knocked down. To make matters worse, the area where he was knocked down was just yards away not just from the police station, but also the ambulance station.

"Why he had to wait for over one hour is something for which I want answers.

"The man was very lucky that that the off-duty police officer was on hand to help and the officer should be commended for her actions.

"It is obviously crucial that anyone who is knocked down is given treatment as soon as possible, but that is even more vital when the person is elderly.

"We all want to hear assurances that this will not happen again."

Bill Esterson said the cuts to the emergency services cannot be allowed to put people in danger.

Bill said: "I am horrified by this case and I have contacted North West Ambulance Service for a breakdown into how a man of 75 can be allowed to lie injured and in pain in the road for so long.

"We have always raised concerns about the dangers of cutting our emergency services. It is obvious that this government has cut too far and too fast.

"These concerns have been realised in this case as a man had to wait for more than one hour to get professional assistance while lying just yards from an ambulance station and a police station whose public enquiry desk had been closed just weeks before.

"This is an issue I will be raising in the House of Commons. I want assurances from the government that everything is being done to ensure that this doesn't not happen again.

"I have asked David Cameron before for cast iron assurances that his cuts programme will not jeopardise the safety of the public. He has not been able to give me those assurances. This case has proven that he cannot.

"I'd like to personally thank the off-duty police officer who gave life saving first aid to the gentleman while waiting for the ambulance arrive."
North West Ambulance Service have issued a statement saying that their logs indicate that the man was attended to within 17 minutes of the original call, but the off-duty police officer has confirmed that the wait was over one hour and the ambulance service logs do not show the earlier calls.
Bill Esterson added: "There is clearly some discrepency between the ambulance services' logs and the witness account of the off-duty police officer.
"I am now querying the service's logs and asking them clarify the differing accounts."

Do you like this page?

The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.

Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.

To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.