Latest Stories

Formby Labour councillors Tim Hale and Nina Killen with Eileen and Phil Morgan who rely on the 44 bus service to get to and from Southport Hospital.

Formby Labour councillors says the latest cut to a bus service in Formby is a cut too far.

The 44 bus service currently runs from Formby Library down Kirklake Road, St Luke's Church Road and Bushbys Lane, then on to Southport & District General Hospital and Crossens.
 
But Arriva say they cannot keep the timetable on the current route and while not enough people are using the service in Formby it is busy in Southport.
 
As a result, from July 19 the service will skip Kirklake Road, St Luke's Church Road and Bushbys Lane and instead go straight down King's Road then on to Southport.
 
This is the second time the service has been reduced having previously been reduced from half-hourly to hourly.
 
Formby Labour councillor Nina Killen has been contacted by Formby residents who rely on the service.
 
Cllr Killen said: "The changes to the 44 bus service's route will be really devastating for some people in Formby who regularly use the bus to get to and from the hospital in Southport. Some of these people have already raised the issue with me.
 
"One resident who lives on the stretch of the route which is due to be axed, says he drives at the moment but his wife, who is partially sighted, relies on the bus. He fears when he can't drive any more they will struggle.
 
"The people who use the 44 need it most because they don't have access to other transport which is why they use the bus.
 
"The 160 Formby circular goes down there but gets to Formby Library 50 minutes before the 44 leaves, so that is hardly a convenient connection.
 
"I have raised this issue with Merseytravel to see what action can be taken.
 
"This is a service that we need here in Formby. People rely on it. Surely a solution can be found. I don't think it is acceptable to just cut the route. It leaves some of Formby's elderly and less abled people cut off while the route in Southport which is served by lots of buses is maintained.
 
"While Arriva say that not many people use the service, the ones who do absolutely need it and often don't have any alternative for getting to and from the hospital."
 
Phil (74) and Eileen (73) Morgan are one couple who regularly use the service. Eileen is visually impaired and relies on the 44 to get to and from the hospital.
She said: "The 44 bus is our hospital bus service. We need it. Other people here in Formby need it. I have used the 44 bus three times this week alone. It is an essential service.
 
"It drops me outside my house and I don't have to cross any roads, which is getting more and more difficult with my eye-sight problems.
 
"Once this bus goes from this route, I will have to walk to the station, which is quite a way away from where I live. Lots of people who use the 44 will be as stuck as I will be."
 
Fellow Formby Labour councillor Tim Hale urged Arriva to reverse the decision to change the route.
 
Cllr Hale said: "People do rely on this service. Many of them are elderly or even disabled. They use this service to get to and from hospital.
 
"To cut out this part of the route you are leaving a whole section of the community stranded.
 
"I understand that funding for public transport has been slashed by the government. But we need to ensure that communities and individuals are not being left isolated. Those people who rely on the 44 will argue that this latest cut will do just that."
 
Formby Labour councillors Tim Hale and Nina Killen with Eileen and Phil Morgan who rely on the 44 bus service to get to and from Southport Hospital.

Formby Labour councillors and local residents say changes to 44 'hospital bus' will be like cutting a lifeline

Formby Labour councillors says the latest cut to a bus service in Formby is a cut too far.

Lydiate Parish Council chairman Cllr John Bailey and vice chairman Cllr Andy Wilson with Lydiate Community Centre caretakers Keith Hawkins and Craig Bramwell with the recently damaged fencing.

Labour-run Lydiate Parish Council have contacted the police after fence thieves caused thousands of pounds worth of damage to two council owned facilities in the village.

Last week Lydiate Community Centre caretakers Keith Hawkins and Craig Bramwell discovered that a square stretch of the green mesh fencing that surrounds the centre had been cut out and stolen. The incident happened between the evening of Wednesday, June 3 and the morning of Thursday, June 4.
 
The theft comes after two large panels of similar fencing were stolen from the basketball court on Sandy Lane.
 
Both incidents have been reported to the police.
 
Lydiate Parish Council's Labour leader, Cllr John Bailey said it appeared that both incidents were targeted thefts.
 
Cllr Bailey said: "The latest incident at the community centre on Lambshear Lane has been carried out in a very targeted way. The caretakers report that the fence was fine the day before and that who ever did it must have struck at some stage during the evening or early morning.
 
"The area of fencing that was cut out was at a spot not covered by the centre's CCTV system.
 
"Wire cutters have been used to cut out the perfect square which measures at about two-foot by two-foot. It leads us to believe that it has been stolen for a specific purpose, such as for use on a rabbit hutch.
 
"But because the area that has been cut out comes from a larger section of fencing, the overall cost will run into the hundreds as we have to replace a whole section of paneling.
 
"Add this together with the cost of replacing the panels that were stolen some time back from the basketball court on Sandy Lane and you are looking a very costly couple of thefts."
 
Deputy leader, Labour's Cllr Andy Wilson, said the latest incident has now been reported to the police and the centre's CCTV is being checked.
 
Cllr Wilson said: "This is willful criminal behaviour that has caused extensive and costly damage to the fencing. We have passed to the police all of the details and while that particular area of fencing isn't covered by the CCTV, we are looking through the footage to see if the perpetrators have been picked up by the cameras as they've made their way to and from the centre.
 
"It is shocking to think that people are willing to cause hundreds of pounds worth of damage to public property for the sake of a piece of mesh fencing that would cost no more than a few pounds.
 
"As for the basketball court on Sandy Lane, the thieves there must have used a van to get those panels away.
 
"What is equally disappointing is that the fencing was stolen over a year ago and still the previous Lib Dem administration who were in sole-charge of the parish council prior to May failed replace it. Not only is it potentially dangerous to leave the fencing part-exposed, but it also makes the court almost unusable for anyone wanting to play there because they would be spending as much of their time retrieving the ball than they would playing the game.
 
"We will be looking into repairing the damage to both fences as soon as possible.
 
"I would urge anyone with any information relating to both of these incidents to report it to the police. This isn't a victimless crime. The community of Lydiate is a victim here and we must all take a stand against all criminal activity in our community."
 
 
Lydiate Parish Council chairman Cllr John Bailey and vice chairman Cllr Andy Wilson at the Sandy Lane basketball court where sections of the fencing was also stolen
 
Lydiate Parish Council chairman Cllr John Bailey and vice chairman Cllr Andy Wilson at the Sandy Lane basketball court where sections of the fencing was also stolen

Labour-run Lydiate Parish Council call in police after fence thieves cause thousands of pounds worth of damage

Labour-run Lydiate Parish Council have contacted the police after fence thieves caused thousands of pounds worth of damage to two council owned facilities in the village.

 Mayor of Maghull Cllr Joan Deegan and Maghull Town Council Labour leader Cllr Patrick McKinley at the MaghullFest last summer

Labour-run Maghull Town Council is preparing to host this year's MaghullFest - and they're planning on it being the biggest and best yet.

This summer's extravaganza will be held on Saturday, July 11 from 12-5pm at Whinney Brook Playing Field on Eastway.
 
Entertainment will include adult and children's fairground rides and attractions, marquee stalls, a DJ, live music, donkey rides and much more.
 
There will also be food and drink stalls, confectionery stalls and a licensed bar.
 
Maghull Town Council Labour leader Cllr Patrick McKinley said attractions were being added to the MaghullFest itinerary by the day.
 
Cllr McKinley said: "Last year, my Labour colleagues and I on the council wanted to set up a civic event that would be a celebration of our community and bring people together of all ages. We organised and held the inaugural MaghullFest and it was a huge success. So much so, that we held another one later in the year.
 
"This year we have built on the success of last year's events to make it even bigger and better.
 
"We've got a whole host of activities and attraction that will suit the entire family, no matter what age.
 
"And every day we are adding more and more events as every day we are being approached by people who know how successful both events were last year.
 
"It's an event I can't wait for and I will be bringing my whole family along to join the fun too."
 
Cllr McKinley said MaghullFest is a great community event and an opportunity to support the Mayor of Maghull's chosen charity too.
 
Cllr McKinley said: "As well as having attractions that will appeal to everyone, MaghullFest is an opportunity to come together as a community, while at the same time supporting the Mayor of Maghull's chosen charity, which is Woodlands Hospice.
 
"This event represents another step toward building a great sense of community for the whole of Maghull. I look forward to seeing everyone there on the day."
 
 
Maghull Labour councillor June Burns with St John Ambulance volunteers at last year's MaghullFest.

Labour-run Maghull Town Council prepare for this year's MaghullFest which they say will be biggest and best yet

  Labour-run Maghull Town Council is preparing to host this year's MaghullFest - and they're planning on it being the biggest and best yet.

More Stories >

The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.

Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.

To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.